Nowadays, blenders are not just for making smoothies anymore. You can also use them to make soup, sauce, puree, ice cream, and even making dough! This is where Vitamix comes in, they’re one of the best brands when it comes to blenders. And today we’re doing a thorough comparison of their two most popular models, the Vitamix 5200 vs 5300, to see which one is the best for you.
Vitamix 5200 And Vitamix 5300: Classic VS Modern Approach
Vitamix is a household name when it comes to high-performance blenders. This family-owned company has been operating for almost 100 years now, providing premium blenders to both commercial and residential consumers.
Now let’s take a closer look at the brand’s top-rated models:
The Classic Vitamix 5200
The Vitamix 5200 is the brand’s classic bestseller that came out way back in 2007. Over the years, this is still the most preferred blender either for household or commercial use. And it’s not hard to see why, it is extremely efficient and durable with its 2HP motor and 3” aircraft-grade stainless steel blades.
- Variable Speed Control: Easily adjust speed to achieve a variety of textures. The dial can be rotated at any point during the...
- Large Batches: The size and shape of the self-cleaning 64-ounce container is ideal for blending medium to large batches....
- Hot Soup: The blades in the Vitamix container reach speeds fast enough to create friction heat, bringing cold ingredients to...
Last update on 2023-02-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
It comes with a 64-ounce BPA free container that has measurement markers embedded in it. This makes making smoothies, dips, or sauces for the whole family very convenient. It’s powerful motor or durable blade allows you to puree even hard fruits and veggies in a matter of seconds.
Another one of its amazing features is the radial cooling fan and thermal protection system that’s built into its base. This keeps your blender from overheating, especially when you’re making a family-sized smoothie with frozen fruits or stubborn veggies.
Been avoiding using your blender because of how hard it is to clean? With the Vitamix 5200, just put a drop of soap and warm water, then put it on High for 30 seconds and it will be clean as new.
- Self-cleaning. The Vitamix 5200 self-cleans with just a drop of soap and water. This makes it more convenient especially for busy individuals who have no time to scrub and disassemble a blender with every use.
- User-friendly interface. This model has simple, user-friendly controls. It only has 3 controls on its base, high/variable switch, the 10-speed knob, and the on/off switch.
- Well-designed tamper tool. It comes with a well-designed tamper tool that will help you push down hard to blend veggies or fruits, thick mixtures, or additional ingredients. It is designed so that it will not touch the blades even when put all the way through.
- Efficient cooling system. The Vitamix 5200 comes with an efficient cooling system that will keep the motor from overheating while you’re blending your favorite drinks or dishes.
- Too tall to fit under cabinets. The Vitamix 5200 is 20” tall, which makes it hard to fit under most kitchen cabinets. But for me, I don’t mind displaying it in my kitchen counter because of its classic, chic design.
- Fixed blades. It has non-removable blades, that is a struggle when cleaning. Luckily, the 5200 can easily self-clean. So, if I need thorough cleaning like when stubborn ingredients cling to the blade, I just let it self-clean for a few extra seconds.
➡ Read More: Vitamix 5200 Package
The Modern Vitamix 5300
The Vitamix 5300 is the modern twist to the legendary Vitamix 5200. Often mistaken as the other, the 5300 have the best of its predecessor and more. This model is one of the newest kitchen favorites by most. It is designed for consumer use unlike the 5200 but it is just as powerful, if not more. It comes with a sturdy 2.2HP motor and 4” commercial-grade stainless steel blades.
- Includes: Motor Base, Low-Profile 64-ounce Container, Getting Started Plus User Guide with Recipes, Low-Profile Tamper
- BPA-Free Container
- 7-Year Full Warranty
Last update on 2023-02-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Its low profile 64-ounce container is one of the many things that you’ll appreciate in this model. It has measurement markers built into the container, making it easier to measure ingredients that go into your food. It is very handy, especially when making soups, smoothies, or sauces.
A feature that stands out to me in this model is the pulse switch. This gives you better control of the texture that your smoothie, soup, or sauce will have. You can make it a little chunkier if you prefer having a bit of a bite. It also helps give you a thicker consistency for your smoothie bowls or sauce.
It also has the same self-cleaning feature that the Vitamix 5200 has. The container and blades can be cleaned by putting a little drop of soap and some hot water then switch it on for 30 to 60 seconds. Rinse it after then wipe the base with a clean, damp cloth.
- Sturdy motor. The 2.2 HP motor than the 5300 comes with is powerful enough to give you perfectly blended mixes in a matter of seconds. It is durable and designed to stand the test of time.
- Durable blades. The 4″ aircraft-grade blades in this blender allow you to chop off tough to cut ingredients effortlessly. It is made from high-quality stainless steel that will stay sharp over the years.
- Low Profile container. The low-profile container allows the Vitamix 5300 to sit under the kitchen counters without any struggle. It is easier to store and doesn’t require too much counter space.
- Pulse switch. One of its most remarkable features is the pulse switch. This allows you to make and experience different layers of texture on your food. It helps you control how thick and chunky you want your mixture to be.
- Concerns on durability. There are some concerns in the durability of the 5300’s low-profile container. Some say it tends to crack easily. However, with proper use, storage, and maintenance this can be avoided.
- Noise level. Some users of the 5300 said the machine can be a little louder when more than halfway filled with ingredients. This may have something to do with the shape of the container, making it more challenging for the motor to blend and thus the louder noise.
➡ Read Also: Our Individual product review of Vitamix 5300. More about this model, its features and benefits, and what you need to consider before buying it.
Vitamix 5200 And Vitamix 5300: Which Has Better Features
Not all blenders are made equal, and so here we’ll look at which of the two Vitamix models have better features than the other.
One of their main differences is that the Vitamix 5300 boasts a 2.2 HP motor while the classic Vitamix 5200 only has a 2 HP motor. Now, 0.2 HP may not seem much of a difference, but this can give you better consistency and texture at a shorter period.
Winner: Vitamix 5300
Blades And Pitcher
Another advantage of the Vitamix 5300 is the blades. While both models have aircraft-grade stainless steel blades, the 5300 have 4″ blades. This is to support its pitcher that is wider than of the 5200. The 5200, on the other hand, has 3″ blades that fit just right to its tall and slim container.
While both blades are designed to support their respective pitchers, most still prefer the 5300. This is because they find it easier to store under their kitchen cabinets as the 5200 can be too tall to fit underneath. Therefore, causing storage issues for some who doesn’t have a lot of counter space.
Winner: Vitamix 5300
Controls And Speed Settings
Though both blenders have the standard Vitamix 10-speed dial, they have slightly different controls. The 5200 have a High and Variable switch, and an on and off switch. Putting the switch on high will blend your ingredients to the machine’s highest possible setting. Meanwhile, the variable will allow you to control the speed using the 10-speed dial instead.
Since it doesn’t have the Pulse option, users have resorted to using the on and off switch instead. Though this is not the most ideal option, it works for most to create a chunky mix. This wouldn’t be an issue if you have a 5300 though because it has an actual Pulse switch.
On top of this, it also has a stop and starts switch on the other side of the dial. Then in front of the base is an on and off switch.
Winner: Vitamix 5300
Ease Of Use
Both machines have a pretty much straightforward interface. After you get used to the 10-speed dial and what difference they make to your drink or food, everything else is super simple. Both models do not have fancy pre-programmed buttons that can be confusing for some. However, 5300 have more controls than the 5200.
Also, the on and off switch on the 5300 is in front of the base itself under the control panel which will take some getting used to.
Winner: Vitamix 5200
Vitamix 5200 And Vitamix 5300: Which One Should You Get
Get The Vitamix 5200 If:
You want a classic blender that does the job well. It works well for blending a small or big batch of ingredients due to its container design. It has a powerful motor and durable blade that stands for years. This is also best if you have enough counter space in your kitchen.
Get The Vitamix 5300 If:
You prefer a more modern blender and want to have one that has a Pulse switch. This is also best for you if you make food in big batches as the wide pitcher may make it challenging to blend a smaller amount of food. This is perfect if you have limited counter space as it fits in most under cabinet space in the kitchen.
Let me know if this helps you in picking out your next (or first!) Vitamix blender in the comments below. Feel free to suggest models or brands that you want me to review next! 😉