I think we can all agree that, no matter how old you get or where you are, home cooked meals are THE BEST. No Michelin starred restaurant can beat your mom’s family recipe pasta or your dad’s slow cooked ribs. I guess that’s why they say “home is where the heart is”.
But cooking at home can sometimes be a grueling task. The long hours of preparation, peeling and chopping your ingredients, and most of all: the monster amount of dishes and pans waiting for you in the sink afterwards. Admit it, sometimes just thinking about it reminds you of the back pain you got the last time you made lasagna for a family dinner. So, what if I tell you that I found a gem that lets you stand for hours in the kitchen but without the back pain, sore legs and tingling feet afterwards? Interested? Keep reading!
The Imprint CumulusPRO Commercial Standing Desk Anti-Fatigue Mat is one of the best anti fatigue kitchen mats in the industry, used by several commercial companies like Microsoft, JetBlue and Seagate and is recommended by chefs and bakers alike. It prides on using proprietary Cushion-Core™ Technology on all its mats, ensuring maximum comfort and long lasting support.
One of its other notable feature is that it has increased thickness by up to 97% compared to most mats but its advanced beveled edges makes sure that it will not be a trip or slip hazard on your kitchen.
The Imprint CumulusPRO is every home cook’s dream come true. Here’s why:
- Comfort – The mat is made with a single piece construction of polyurethane and a perfectly firm core providing for a more premium feel, not extremely cushiony or springy like other regular kitchen mats. This ensures the mat to give better support especially for your lower back area when standing up as the ¾ inch thick cushion helps to evenly distribute your body weight. It is also guaranteed to bounce back and never lose its form, resulting in longer lasting, consistent comfort.
- Environmental Friendly – It’s manufactured with non-toxic phthalate free materials, meaning that it is free from obnoxious chemical odors, so the mat is safe to be in homes with children, pets or even family members that have sensitive lungs.
- Safety –It has been certified by the National Floor Safety Institute & a partner of the American Chiropractic Association (ACA). It has contoured beveled edges to prevent tripping over the mat when walking, while its non slip bottom and 6.5 pounds weight helps the mat stay in place even on smooth surfaces like marble, tiles and hardwood floors.
- Easy to Clean – The surface of the mat is extremely durable. It is chemical resistant, abrasion and puncture resistant and has an easy to clean, anti-microbial top layer. It has a grain like textured surface so sauce and water spills just slide right off and fine dry particles like flour and dust has nowhere to creep on to.
- Warranty – Imprint Comfort Mats come with 100% unconditional lifetime satisfaction guarantee if you are not satisfied with its performance.
Here are some very minor flaws that you may want to keep in mind before you purchase your CumulusPRO mat:
- The mat has limited color variation, it only has 4 colors to choose from and is only available in one size: 24 inches by 36 inches. This might make it difficult to fit on homes with a specific design aesthetic. However, the mat’s sleek and modern look may just blend well with anything.
- Some reviews complain that the mat may adhere to wood floors, leaving unsightly black markings. I would suggest to place in in smooth, dry areas to avoid the mat from sticking to your floor.
- If you’re used to soft fluffy kitchen mats, this cushioned floor mat may feel too firm for you, especially if you use it on your bare foot, this is because of its high density core. This is something that can take time to get used to, but once you feel the comfort that a denser floor mat gives, you’ll never go back to soft foamed mats again.
- Some reviewers also note a strong chemical smell while the mat is brand new. Although it is made from non toxic materials, it may still emit an off gassing odor, which I think is the case for most brand new mats. The smell comes off after a few weeks use, depending on how much you use it and how ventilated the area is. I suggest to wash it with mild soap and air it out before putting it in your kitchen to lessen the odor while waiting for it to completely come off.
It definitely comes with quite a hefty price tag, but I’m telling you, this anti-fatigue mat is well worth the price!
Three things stand out to me with this mat:
1. Its NFSI certification and ACA partnership
2. Its cushion core technology and
3. Its magical surface that is anti-microbial, waterproof, abrasion and puncture resistant, and easy to clean.
It is extremely durable – being designed for commercial use, so this is best for those who needs a kitchen mat for heavy duty use – like for a family who loves to cook, for those who have a small food business at home, and for baking enthusiasts.
Sure, it is indeed an investment for its price, and may not be for everybody, but if you can afford it, get it. I personally don’t see it as a luxury, if you spend at least 3-4hrs or more continuously standing up in a day, you’ll need this. There’s a lot of risks you’re putting your body in to, standing on hard floors for long periods at a time. Even if you stretch or bend once in a while, your body is still in more stress than what’s healthy for you. I can’t stress this enough, get a kitchen mat, it will save your passion for cooking and it will save your bones and joints and muscles and your body will thank you for it later on.