If you’re thinking of something new yet festive to add to the holiday spread this year, try out my Classic Caprese Skewers with Balsamic Reduction recipe! Just one look at these peppy stacks of goodness and you already know they are perfectly made for the holiday season. Vibrant red and yellow tomatoes, bright green fresh basil leaves, and creamy mozzarella balls – doesn’t it make you instantly jolly?
You’ll be even happier to know that you only need 5 ingredients and about half an hour to make these delightful Caprese skewers. Inspired by the classic Caprese salad, the stars of this recipe are grape or cherry tomatoes, Ciliegine, and fresh basil leaves. The skewers are made even more flavorful by drizzling it with a simple balsamic reduction.
Whenever I get invited to BBQ parties or potlucks, this is one of the first ideas that come to mind because of how easy it is. You can easily make a big batch of these without breaking the bank. Especially if you have a garden that grown tomatoes and basil! What’s more, is that these Caprese Skewers are wholesome too, so even if you have holiday guests that are health conscious, they can still easily enjoy this appetizer.
How I Make My Classic Caprese Skewers With Balsamic Reduction:
- For this recipe, I used 16 pieces of 6″ bamboo skewers. These are long enough to keep the ingredients from being squished together. I start by holding one end of the skewer and gently threading the red tomato into it. Then follow it with a folded basil leaf. You want to fold it where the darker side of the leaf is out. Now add one Ciliegines, then another basil leaf, and lastly a yellow tomato.
- Simply repeat this step until you run out of ingredients or finish the 16 skewers. Assemble the completed Caprese skewers on a nice serving plate. Set them aside while we make the balsamic reduction. To do this, pour the balsamic vinegar into a sauté pan and place it over medium-high fire. All we need to do is stir it constantly until it thickens and has been reduced to around 1/3 of its initial amount. This process should only take about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Once the balsamic vinegar is reduced, allow it to cool for about 10 to 15 minutes. When it’s cooled, drizzle the reduction over the Caprese skewers. Try to avoid the mozzarella balls as it will melt them and mess up your presentation. If using, drizzle the skewers with high-quality olive oil too.
- If you’re in a jiffy, you can also make these skewers ahead of your party or gathering. Simply assemble the skewers then tightly cover them with cling wrap before putting them in the fridge. To keep it fresh-tasting, do not make them more than 12 hours ahead. Drizzle with the balsamic reduction and olive oil once ready to serve.
- 16 pieces of grape or red cherry tomatoes, rinse and pat dry
- 16 pieces of grape or yellow cherry tomatoes, rinse and pat dry
- 32 pieces of fresh basil leaves, rinse and pat dry
- 16 mini-Mozzarella balls or Ciliegine
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of high-quality extra-virgin olive oil to drizzle
- Prepare 16 6” bamboo skewers. Hold a skewer with the pointy end facing out and start by threading a red tomato into it. Then fold a basil leaf halfway with the darker side facing outwards and skewer it next to the tomato. Add a piece of Ciliegine then another folded basil. Lastly, add a yellow tomato.
- Repeat this step until you run out of ingredients or have completed all 16 skewers. Assemble the finished Caprese skewers into a serving plate and set it aside.
- Make the balsamic reduction by pouring the balsamic vinegar into a sauté pan placed over medium-high heat. Reduce it, constantly stirring until it has thickened and is at least 1/3 of its initial amount. This process should take about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Take the balsamic reduction off the heat and allow to cool for about 10 to 15 minutes. Once ready to serve the skewers, drizzle the reduction over it. Try to avoid drizzling the warm balsamic reduction over the Ciliegine to keep it from melting. Lastly, drizzle the skewers with high-quality olive oil, if using. Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 456Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 90mgSodium: 727mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 26g
See how easy it is to make a healthy and festive appetizer in only a short amount of time? These Classic Caprese Skewers are sure to please both kids and adults alike! What would you pair with this appetizer? Give me your recommendations in the comments below. 😉