A springform pan is the savior of all the cakes ruined by the old-fashioned cake pans. It is a type of bakeware that have sides and base easily removable by a latch. This is mostly used by chefs and bakers for hassle-free and mess-free making of dishes with delicate sides or bottom layers like cheesecakes, tortes, and even deep-dish pizzas.
I still remember the first time I tried to bake a chocolate cake and used a regular cake pan. I was so excited when it came out of the oven smelling like heaven. After about 15 minutes, I tried to remove it from the pan and there goes my bottom layer, comfortably stuck at the base of the pan.
I know you’ve all had experiences like this too, so I made a detailed buying guide on how I chose the best springform pan for my need and the top ones on my list.
What to look for in a Springform Pan
One of the first things to decide on is what kind of spingform pan are you looking for? They can be made of glass, silicon or metal like anodized aluminum or stainless steel. There’s also the glass-based and metal-based pans. It all depends on what you’re planning to use it mostly for. Silicon pans are used mostly for runny batters since they are virtually leak proof, but it may be troublesome if you need to make tarts, cheesecakes or any dessert that has a crumb crust at the bottom. Metal pans are the most commonly used ones because of their price and characteristics, however, they can scratch easily and may cause a slight metallic taste. Both silicon and metal pans can be glass-based. Glass pans may take longer baking time because they are normally thicker but they are more durable and are scratch-resistant.
This is probably the most important factor when choosing your pan, it MUST be leak proof. Otherwise your batter will shower your oven with sugary, floury love. Another reason why you need a leak proof pan is that when baking something that requires steam baths or water baths, you need to ensure that the water doesn’t get in to your batter. Sure, you can wrap it with aluminum all over to avoid it but why go through the hassle when you can easily get a leak proof pan?
Your spingform pan needs to be non-stick otherwise it will just defeat the purpose and you’ll still end up with a battered cake. Pun intended. 😉
Springform pans are usually between 8 inches to 11 inches but the most commonly used is the 9 inches variety. Some already come in sets of all these sizes and different shapes too! You can get a heart-shaped, a square shaped or a diamond shaped one.
You must choose a pan that is nontoxic as some nonstick pans are made of materials that may release fumes or leach when exposed to high heat and are of course dangerous to your health.
Easy to clean
At end of the day, you’re already tired from all the kneading and baking and standing for hours and you just want to go rest. This is why you need to choose a pan that is not a hassle to clean. Most nonstick pans are easy to clean, and the crusts and crumbles just slides off their surface.
Dark or light
This is another factor that also depends on what you need the springform pan for. If you usually make slow baking pastries and desserts, go for the dark colored pan as it absorbs heat and thus shorten the cooking time, while light colored spring form pans reflects the heat source and so take a longer time to bake.
Best Springform Pan: Our Top Ten
Nordic Ware Leakproof Springform Pan – Best Springform Pan for Cakes
Made by a family run company that has been manufacturing kitchenware since 1946, this Nordic Ware Leakproof Springform Pan promises picture perfect cakes, every time. This is perfect for making your family’s favorite cheesecake on weekend dinners since it has a 10-cup capacity.
The pan has a classic dark design, so you know that it will effectively absorb heat. It measures 9.1 x 9.1 x 3.1 inches and weighs 11.2 ounces so it has the perfect weight to it and doesn’t feel flimsy. This is also backed by a limited 10-year warranty from Nordic Ware.
- Nonstick coated: This pan has a nonstick coating, making for flawless release of your baked goods. A springform pan is no good if it is not nonstick, especially if you will be using it for cakes.
- Easy cleanup: Since it is a nonstick pan, it is way easier to clean. You can just gently wash it with a sponge and a few drops of soap. No need to soak for long period of time before you can use it again.
- Easy operation: It has a smooth buckle mechanism makes it easy to use even for our little bakers at home. This pan is also leakproof, batter spills are prevented with the help of its effective buckle and raised base.
- The pan cannot be used on its own if you are using it for water bath, you will need to wrap in foil because it may leak the water inside the pan. It has no problems holding regular batter though, like for cakes or tortes.
- Some reviews say that the nonstick coating may flake off only after several uses. It may be caused by using rough or sharp utensils while it is being cleaned on a dishwasher.
Springform Pan, MCIRCO 7″ Non-stick Cheesecake Pan– Best for Starting Bakers
This affordable rounded pan is best for those who are still learning to bake. The pan has an eye-catching red and black color that will make guests give a second look. It is constructed from heavy duty gauge steel layered with nonstick coating. A lot of those who purchased this pan said this works efficiently on instant pots, especially for making lasagna. This is an easy task for the MCIRCO 7 Springform Pan since it has been designed to withstand heat up to 445°F.
It has a good size as well, great for making a pan of quiche for the family. It measures 7.2 x 7.2 x 2.3 inches and is lightweight at only 7.7 ounces. This also comes with a 180-day Quality Assurance Guarantee from the manufacturer, Mcirco, giving you full refund or replacement if the product doesn’t work to your liking.
- Easy to Clean: The pan has a nonstick coating that not only guarantees easy release of the food but also makes it hassle-free to clean. If you’re making several batches using only 1 pan, just wipe it off with a soft cloth and it’s ready for another batter.
- Safety: The Mcirco Springform Pan is tested non-toxic and BPA free, meaning no harmful materials will leach over use of the product.
- Versatile: This pan can be used not only for making cakes and pastries, but also for savory dishes as this works well on instant pots too.
- Although it is supposed to be leak proof, some customers say that the water comes in to the pan when it is put on water bath. So to successfully do a bain marie, you will need to wrap the pan in foil first.
- Some reviews mentioned that they have received pans where the bases doesn’t seem to fit the pan perfectly, thus ruining it’s leakproof feature.
Hiware 7 Inch Non-stick Pan– Best for Instant Pot Users
This highly rated springform pan has double layer of nonstick coating for guaranteed smooth release. Most users rave at how sharp the edges look on their cakes which look amazing once covered in icing. Some have even used it to make deep dish pizza and it worked just as well since the pan is safe up to 450°F heat. It is an affordable yet professional grade spring form pan.
This pan is perfect for making sweet desserts like tiramisu or cheesecake since it is a little on the smaller side at 7.8 x 7.5 x 2.3 inches and weighs 10.9 ounces. Hiware offers 100% Money Back Guarantee if you are not satisfied with the quality of the product you received.
- Durability: This pan is made from premium steel and also has a stainless steel springform buckle that will not easily rust (with proper maintenance).
- Safety: It is PFOA, BPA, and PTFE free, so guaranteed safe to use even for your kids’ birthday cake. There will not be any metal or chemical leaching.
- Easy clean: Its double nonstick coat guarantees clean releases every time, so you will not have to scrub and scrub removing batter residues from this pan as it will just slide off.
- The pan may leak if the sides are not locked in properly or if you will use a runny batter. As reviewers say, the base and the sides have a groove that you have to match correctly for it to securely lock in place and stop the batter from seeping out.
- This pan is not made for thick cakes as it is a little on the shallow side. It is good for making tarts or pies that doesn’t require high walling like for pot pies and the like.
- Some reviews say that the pan may show rust after several months of use. I think this can be fixed with proper maintenance and making sure that the pan is 100% dry before putting in storage, especially for enclosed cabinets.
Farberware Nonstick Bakeware Springform Pan – Best Bang For Your Buck
Made by a company that has been making professional cookware since the 1900s, the Farberware Nonstick Bakeware has been highly recommended by home cooks and bakers alike. It is easy on the pocket but is constructed for heavy duty usage. The pan is nonstick inside and out, so you will get clean, easy food release, every time. It is also the closest to leak proof than other pans on this list when tested on water bath.
This pan is meant for making sweet treats or savory dishes for a family or group of friends as it is 9.5 x 9.5 x 3 inches, you can easily make multi-filling quiche on it without pouring out as it is 3 inches deep. It also has a good weight at 1.3 lbs, it is definitely not the wobbly kind of pan.
- Durable: The pan is made from high grade steel that resists warping and is oven safe for up to 450°F.
- Easy Clean: Its nonstick coating makes it a breeze to clean the pan, just use mild soap and sponge and it will be like new again. Make sure to always towel dry after each wash.
- The pan is not exactly leak proof, water may seep into the pan if the grooves of the base and the side is not connected properly. Among all the pans tested on this list, this is the closest to impermeable.
Cuisinart AMB-9SPCH Nonstick Bakeware – Best Construction and Design
This elegantly light springform pan by Cuisinart is a baker’s favorite. It is because of how satisfyingly smooth your cake or pastry will come out of the pan because of its Whitford Xylan stick resistant inner and outer coating, Xylan is industrial grade coating engineered to be wear-resistant for lasting use.
The Cuisinart Chef’s Classic Nonstick Bakeware is another pan made for bigger servings, as it is 9.3 x 2.8 x 9.3 inches, you’ll surely get enough cheesecake for at least 8 people. It also weighs 1 pound, slightly heavier than most because of its durable construction. This product is backed by Cuisinart with a Limited Lifetime Warranty.
- Durability: Other than its wear-resistant Xylan coating, the pan is also made of heavy-gauge aluminized steel. Its edges are also thickly rolled to keep the pan from warping.
- Easy Clean: Because of its high-grade nonstick coating, cleaning this pan is a breeze. You can either wipe it ff with warm water or wash it with mild soap and water. It is also dishwasher safe.
- This is not to be used as a leakproof pan, so runny batter doesn’t work well with this. It is best for making pies and tarts.
- The pan may rust if not properly maintained. Make sure to always towel dry after every wash.
Wilton Excelle Elite Springform Pan– Best for Heavy Use
Wilton has been making bakers’ lives easier by manufacturing high quality bakers’ tools since 1929. Made from commercial grade steel, the Wilton Excelle Elite Non-Stick Springform Pan can withstand heavy duty usage. That also helps the pan to conduct heat instantly and evenly distribute heat resulting to beautifully light cheesecake.
This pan is great to use when baking for a holiday at home or a game night dinner because of its size, it measures 10.5 x 10.5 x 3 inches, you can make a hassle-free Overloaded Pie without the trouble of your toppings spilling everywhere. Wilton trusts the quality of their products so much that this one comes with a 10-year warranty.
- Durable: This pan is made from commercial grade steel and high quality, reinforced non-stick metal for the base.
- Easy to clean: This pan offers effortless cleaning because of its nonstick surface. Say goodbye to stubborn batter residues.
- This pan is not for leakproof usage, water may seep inside the pan when used for bain marie. Best to cover with foil to avoid excessive moisture on the mixture.
- The pan may easily rust if not towel dried every after wash. It must be completely dry, check for water in it’s rolled edges before putting in storage.
Rachael Ray Oven Lovin’ Springform Pan– Best Nonstick Capability
Who knows better about baking than an actual chef / baker herself? Celebrity Chef Rachael Ray has her own cookware line. They produce high quality yet affordable bakeware. Who wouldn’t fall in lovin’ with her Oven Lovin’ Springform Pan? It has a durable carbon steel construction, guaranteed not to warp over time. It also has a long-lasting nonstick coating for hassle-free food release. It can even withstand heat up to 500°F.
It has the perfect size and with for a perfect breakfast quiche for the family, measuring at 9.8 x 9.8 x 3 inches and weighing 14.4 ounces. Also, know that with every purchase of a Rachael Ray product, a portion goes to Yum-O, it’s a nonprofit organization that works on establishing a healthy relationship between families and cooking.
- Safety: This is the only pan on the list that has a safety silicon grip attached to the latch so you won’t burn your fingers trying to open the buckle.
- Durable: Each pan is made to be commercial grade, it is made from high grade carbon steel for long lasting use.
- The pan is not made to be actually leak proof, so I would not recommend this if you’re planning to use it for runny batters like flans and the like.
- Like other pans on this list, this tends to rust when not taken cared of properly. Do not store without drying with towel or at least air dry.
Baker’s Secret 1107163 Signature Springform Pan– Most Durable
This is one of the springform pans I can easily recommend when it comes to, it has stainless steel construction that will not easily bend or dent. Even if you purposely try to bend it or accidentally drop it. And for me, that’s a good quality pan because once it dents, the base will not fit snugly, and you’ll have your batter everywhere.
The Baker’s Secret Signature Springform Pan is 10.6 x 10.6 x 2.9 inches and 1.12 pounds, well sized for heavy duty usage. Baker’s Secret also offers a full lifetime warranty on their products.
- Durable: Aside from its stainless-steel construction, it also has advanced non-stick coating that is even dishwasher safe.
- Sturdy: This pan is thicker and does not feel flimsy at all, it will not easily bend or dent.
- Some reviewers complain that the pan’s coating may flake off after several uses. This can be avoided by following the proper maintenance for nonstick pans.
- The pan is not designed leakproof, so it is not for use on light consistency batter as you may risk spilling.
USA Pan Springform Pan– Best Overall
Highly Rated for its price and quality, USA Pan Springfrom Pan is no doubt a baker’s favorite. This is not surprising though since USA Pan has been making commercial grade bakeware for over 50 years now. This pan is layered with a patented Americoat Plus silicone coating which provides advanced stick resistance. Time to move on from those sticky, burnt edges.
It also has the perfect size for a blueberry tart or lemon cheesecake at 8 x 8 x 2 inches and it’s lightweight at 14.4 ounces. Due to its durability, USA Pans backs their product with a limited lifetime warranty.
- Durability: USA Pans are made with commercial grade aluminized steel and are also engineered to have unique corrugated design to resist warping as well as to increase nonstick capabilities.
- Safety: Americoat Plus is not only added to provide quick food release but also for safety, this silicon coating is PFTE, PFOA and BPA free.
- You have to be mindful of the rim rolls at the top edge of the pan as it tends to rust since it collects water. So, you really have to shake the water off and completely dry it out before storing.
Bellemain 7-Inch Nonstick Pan – Easiest to Use
This carbon steel Springform Pan from Bellemain is slowly but surely going up the ranks when it comes to the best Nonstick Springform Pans. What with its super-non-stick pan tag line that lives up to its promise, forget about covering your pan with oil or flour, you won’t need that with Bellemain.
You can conveniently make the family’s favorite chicken pot pie with this pan because it is 7 x 7 x 2.3 inches, just the right size for a family of 4-6 people. It comes with a 2-year warranty and they will replace it if you are not satisfied with the performance of your product.
- Nonstick: You will achieve great nonstick performance with the two layers of nonstick coating applied to this pan that are also PFOA, BPA and PTFE free.
- Easy to use: The pan has a buckle that is larger than usual, this is to make it easier to lock and release your cooked food from the pan.
- Even with its tight-fitting seal, this pan is not completely leak proof. It may still leak a little thin batter every now and then. To avoid this, always make sure that the base of the pan perfectly aligns with the side walls.
- Some reviewers are sad that this pan’s coating tends to peel off after some heavy use. This can be caused by different factors, such as using sharp utensils, cooking spray or putting the pan in higher heat than it is made to resist.
Our Top 3 Winners!
- USA Pan Springform Pan – This is the pan that I would recommend for heavy duty use, like if you have a pastry business at home. Since the pan is made from high quality materials, it can withstand intense usage.
- Farberware Nonstick Bakeware 9-Inch Springform Pan – If you are new into baking and doesn’t bake as frequent, then I would suggest you start off with this pan. It has everything a novice baker would require for their springform pan. It has great nonstick capability and also the closest to being leakproof.
- Nordic Ware Leakproof Springform Pan – One of the most recommended pans by professionals and it’s no surprise why. It has a good size and durable as well. This is best for home cooks who frequently bakes too.
How to Maintain Your Springform Pan:
- For first time use, make sure to wash with warm soapy water to remove dirt or dust from shipping.
- Even if your spingform pan says it is dishwasher safe, always, ALWAYS hand wash with mild detergent and soft sponge.
- Every after wash, keep your pan in condition by wiping the internal surface with a light coating of cooking oil.
- Use only nylon or wood utensils when cooking or prepping with springform pans, or any nonstick pans in that matter.
So, are you ready to give up your good ol’ cake pan? Please say yes, your cakes deserve better. There is so much advantage that a little upgrade to springform pan can give you. It may be intimidating to use at first but it’s easy to get used to. I swear I saw reviews where their kids started learning to whip up cheesecake using them. Treat yourself. Add one of these to your cart and experience the convenience of springform pans. 😊
Last update on 2019-11-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API