I want to finish a comprehensive guide to keeping your copper Moscow Mule mugs from tarnishing before long. In the mean this shorter guide is to the point and does the job.
Regular dusting and occasional cleaning with warm water and detergent is a way to keep your copper mugs tarnish free. But this may not be sufficient to keep the luster and the shine in the long run. Using simple materials readily available at home, you can make your copper mug shine with a brand new look. You can prevent them from getting tarnished by sealing them against oil and air. You will not require any caustic chemicals or commercial cleaners for these purposes. Commercial copper cleaners can contain harsh chemicals that may be harmful to you, so it is always good to clean your copper mugs with materials usually available at home.
You may also want to consider commercial copper cleaners for pots and pans as these are generally a bit less harsh than non kitchen grade options. Here is a short guide to regular cleaning of copper mugs.
If your copper mugs are already tarnished try the following solution.
- Concentrated lemon juice-3 cups
- White vinegar(Only for stubborn stains)- 1 cup
- Ammonia (for extreme cases only)- ½ cup
- Mix the lemon juice and salt. Stir until all of the salt has dissolved.
- Dip the sponge in the lemon juice-salt mixture and rub vigorously on the tarnished copper item. This may be sufficient to retrieve the golden luster back to your copper mug. If the result is not satisfactory add white vinegar to the lemon- salt mixture and scrub it again. If the tarnish still exists, add ammonia to the lemon-salt-vinegar mixture and try again. Gloves should be used to avoid touching the cleaned material with naked fingers.
A long term Solution for tarnishing!
You can make and store the following mixture in a glass jar with a tight lid for future use which will fetch you good results.
- Take ½ cup each of salt, detergent powder and flour
- Mix them well. To this, add ¼ cup of lime juice,¾ cup white vinegar, and ½ cup lukewarm water
- Mix these well and transfer into a glass jar and close it tight.
- You can take a small amount on a cloth and clean your copper mug with this. You can use a small brush or a toothbrush for inaccessible areas.
- Rinse thoroughly with water and wipe with a clean, cloth to dry it.
If you do this regularly with your copper item, you will be able to preserve the golden luster, enjoy your drink for many years and they will look polished and bright as brand new ones!
Until it goes live I suggest seeing our front page for more on copper Moscow Mule drinking mugs.
Food for thought – the Moscow Mule is served in a copper mug because it helps keep the drink cold.