With a myriad of ice cream makers available on the market today, it’s hard to choose the best one. Each is great in its own way, but if you’re looking for a good value machine that will serve you many years to come, scroll down these tips to make sure you get the best ice cream maker for your needs that won’t break the bank. [no_toc]
1. Consider your needs
Choose the capacity of an ice cream maker depending on your needs. How much ice cream are you looking to make in each batch? Do you like ice creams with various chunky goodies added in?
If you want to save your kitchen time while still make a frozen homemade treat, consider buying a fully automatic ice cream maker with a built-in freezer. If you’re comfortable with the pre-freezing bowls, why not save some bucks then?
2. Decide on the type you’d like
Speaking about the type and budget, there are many types of ice cream machines and different prices, but typically people invest in the following 5 ones:
- Electric machines: Make your own ice cream in the old fashioned way with an electric machine that uses ice and rock salt. You won’t need to pre-froze any elements, but be ready to clean up the mess. Most models are rather labor-intensive and messy, but you can make large quantities for a big family party.
- Compressor ice cream machines: They allow making yummy frozen treats with the flip of a switch and little to no control at all. These machines are perfect for busy moms who have no time for pre-freezing elements and waiting until the ice cream is done to turn the machine off. Be ready to splurge, though. Convenience costs a fortune.
- Ice cream makers with freezer bowls: Easy to use, such a machine is similar to the one outfitted with a compressor. The biggest difference is that you’ll need to pre-freeze the canister (it takes more than 2 hours or even overnight) before making a dessert. Unlike the previous type, this ice cream maker does require a proper planning.
- Battery operated machines: Perfect for road trips, picnics and BBQ, a battery operated ice cream maker is a must-have during the summer months.
Ice cream makers with add-ins: They’re ideal for those looking to automatically garnish their ice creams with some chunky pieces.
The higher-the-price-the-better approach doesn’t work here. Sometimes an expensive ice cream maker works worse than a cheaper one. Typically, the price varies depending on the add-ins and functionality of each machine. So, feel free to compare the machines before buying.
Pay a huge attention to the settings of your potential ice cream maker. Pricier machines have settings ranging from extra-firm to super-soft, letting you control the consistency of your frozen treats. Moreover, check out the cycle time, which usually ranges from 20 to 30 minutes.
Summer is approaching so fast so why not get ready for it today and buy a machine that will ensure the fantastic ice cream making experiences at home? If you’re a healthy eater or a dieter, you can use an ice cream maker to create a wide variety of low-calorie frozen treats.