Random stomach ache or perhaps the culprit could be molds from your travel mugs? Learn my tried and tested ways to get rid of molds for both you and your cups’ protection.
One thing you need to know about these insulated travel mugs is that even if you only use it for water, they still accumulate bacteria which eventually turns into mold if not taken care of. Yes, even if you get the best coffee travel mugs, it still applies. So how do you get mold out of a Yeti cup?
Their lids which almost always have a rubber seal to keep your drink hot or cold. Unfortunately, they also trap moisture when they’re not dried properly. This is where mold starts to form, and you notice a foul smell in your mug. Mold can cause you tummy ache or worse, food poisoning.
This is why I always tell people to wash their reusable water bottles by warm water and a few drops of soap instead of just putting it in the dishwasher. Washing it manually is more efficient in cleaning every nook and cranny of the mug than the dishwasher.
Make sure to disassemble everything including the rubber seal every time you wash your mug to lessen the stakes of getting mold in it. It’s also best to either air dry it in a clean area or wipe it with a paper towel after washing. This prevents bacteria from spreading on the newly washed mug.
How To Get Rid Of Mold From Your Yeti Cup?
1. Rinse It
Start by rinsing it under running water to get rid of any residue. Fill it with water then put the lid on. Shake it a couple of times then throw the water out. This time fill it with hot water with a few drops of dish soap and put the lid back on. Shake it for about 30 seconds then rest it for 15 minutes before you throw the water out.
2. Soak It In Vinegar Solution
This is one of the most common eco-friendly cleaning solutions. Combine equal parts of water and white vinegar in your Yeti cup. Place the lid on and shake it gently for a few seconds. Then leave it to soak overnight.
The next day, throw the vinegar solution out. Fill the cup with hot water, cover it, and shake it a couple of times before pouring the water out.
3. Use Baking Soda
Next, you want to do a baking soda paste. It is a powerful natural cleanser and it is best for removing foul odor. Put about 2 tablespoons of baking soda in a small bowl and add a little water. Mix it thoroughly until you get a paste-like texture.
Spread it all over the interior of the cup. You want to leave it for about 30 minutes for it to work its magic. Once the 30 minutes is done, get a bottle brush and scrub the inside of the cup using the paste. Then you rinse it again with hot water until all the paste is removed.
4. Scrub it
Now that you’ve cleaned up the inside of the cup, you also need to scrub the exterior to get rid of any stains or residues. Get a clean sponge and put a few drops of dish soap and scrub away. Make sure you don’t miss the bottom of the cup too.
5. Final Rinse
Finally, rinse it thoroughly with warm water to get rid of the suds. Wipe it with a clean paper towel and it’s ready to be used again!
How To Get Rid Of Mold From Your Yeti’s Cup:
- Take the removable parts of your Yeti’s lid especially the rubber gasket. Rinse it with warm water. Then put vinegar solution in a bowl and soak the lid and the rest of the parts. Rinse it the following day then spread it all over with the baking soda paste. Leave for 30 minutes as well and then rinse with hot water.
- Dry it off with a paper towel, checking closely if all the mold has been removed from the lid and the rubber. If not, repeat the process one more time.
FAQ About Cleaning Your Yeti Cup:
Does Bacteria Grow In Water Bottles?
Yes, bacteria can grow in water bottles. Especially reusable once. This is why you have to manually wash them every day with soap and warm water.
What Can I Use To Clean My Water Bottle?
The most basic cleanser would be a few drops of soap and warm water. You can also use a vinegar solution, baking soda, and even hydrogen peroxide.
What Happens If You Drink Out A Moldy Cup?
If you have a pretty strong immune system, it may not affect you, at least not right away. But drinking from moldy cups can cause nausea, diarrhea, or even food poisoning.
Switching from single-use bottles to reusable ones is a conscious choice. It saves you money, and it’s eco-friendly too. Hope this helps you maintain your water bottles and keep you and your family safe! 😊