When it comes to sandwiches, the possibilities are endless. From classic PB&Js to gourmet options, there’s always a way to make each bite more delicious. One of the best ways to elevate a chicken sandwich is by adding cheese. Not only does it add flavor, but it also adds texture and helps bring everything together. But with so many cheese options out there, how do you know which ones are the best for your chicken sandwich? That’s where we come in. In this article, we’ll explore the best cheeses for chicken sandwiches and everything you need to know about pairing them with the perfect sandwich ingredients.
Why Cheese is the Perfect Addition to a Chicken Sandwich
Chicken sandwiches are already incredibly delicious on their own, but adding cheese takes them to a whole new level. Cheese provides a creamy, tangy, and salty flavor that complements the mild and slightly sweet taste of chicken perfectly. Cheese also helps to bring everything together and gives the sandwich a richer, more indulgent flavor. When choosing the right cheese for your chicken sandwich, it’s essential to consider the flavor profile and texture of the cheese to make sure it complements the other ingredients in the sandwich.
Another benefit of adding cheese to a chicken sandwich is that it can increase the nutritional value of the meal. Cheese is a good source of protein, calcium, and vitamin D, which are all essential nutrients for maintaining a healthy diet. Additionally, cheese can help to keep you feeling full and satisfied for longer, which can prevent overeating and snacking on unhealthy foods later in the day. So not only does cheese make your chicken sandwich taste better, but it can also make it a more nutritious meal overall.
5 Types of Cheese That Pair Perfectly with Chicken
Now that we’ve established why cheese is the perfect addition to a chicken sandwich let’s explore five types of cheese that pair perfectly with chicken:
- Cheddar: A classic cheese that is tangy and slightly sharp, cheddar’s texture makes it ideal for melting. The creamy consistency is perfect for adding a delicious layer of flavor to a chicken sandwich, and the sharpness cuts perfectly against the mild taste of chicken.
- Swiss: With a slightly nutty flavor and a milder taste than cheddar, Swiss cheese is perfect for chicken sandwiches with more delicate flavors.
- Brie: A soft, creamy cheese, brie adds a luxurious touch to chicken sandwiches. The mild, buttery flavor pairs wonderfully with chicken, and its creamy texture makes for a deliciously melty sandwich.
- Blue Cheese: Blue Cheese is bold and tangy, making it a great choice for a chicken sandwich with lots of flavor. It melts beautifully and provides a slightly salty flavor that pairs perfectly with chicken.
- Provolone: Provolone has a mild, creamy flavor and is ideal for melting, making it perfect for chicken sandwiches. It adds a wonderfully rich and indulgent flavor to sandwiches without overpowering the other ingredients.
But why stop at just five types of cheese? There are so many other delicious options to try! For example, mozzarella cheese is a great choice for a chicken parmesan sandwich, while feta cheese adds a tangy and salty flavor to a Greek-inspired chicken sandwich. And let’s not forget about pepper jack cheese, which adds a spicy kick to any chicken sandwich. The possibilities are endless when it comes to pairing cheese with chicken!
How to Choose the Right Cheese for Your Chicken Sandwich
Choosing the right cheese for your chicken sandwich depends on your preferences and the other ingredients in the sandwich. A more robust and flavorful chicken sandwich might pair perfectly with a tangy blue cheese or sharp cheddar. Still, a milder sandwich might call for a creamier cheese like brie or provolone. It’s also important to consider the texture of the cheese. A harder cheese like cheddar might be ideal for grilling, while a softer cheese like brie might be perfect for spreading on a sandwich. When choosing your cheese, consider the flavors and textures of all the ingredients in the sandwich to make sure they complement each other well.
The Ultimate Guide to Making the Best Chicken and Cheese Sandwich
Now that you know the best cheese options for chicken sandwiches let’s dive into how to make the perfect chicken and cheese sandwich. Here’s a simple recipe to follow:
- Take two slices of your favorite bread and spread a generous amount of mayonnaise or mustard on each slice
- Layer a few slices of chicken on one slice of bread and add your cheese of choice on top of the chicken slices
- Add lettuce, tomato, and any other ingredients of your choice, then place the second slice of bread on top of everything else
- Close the sandwich and place it on a heated skillet, toasting each side until the cheese is melted and the bread is crispy.
- Enjoy your mouthful of perfect chicken and cheese sandwich!
Gourmet Cheese Options for Elevating Your Chicken Sandwich Game
If you’re feeling daring and want to elevate your chicken sandwich game, here are some gourmet cheese options to experiment with:
- Gruyère: A nutty, earthy cheese with a slightly sweet flavor that pairs well with chicken and other ingredients like caramelized onions and mushrooms.
- Manchego: A Spanish cheese known for its buttery, nutty flavor, and slightly salty taste. It pairs beautifully with a juicy grilled chicken sandwich.
- Goat Cheese: Goat cheese adds a tangy and slightly sweet taste to chicken sandwiches. Its creamy texture makes for a deliciously melty sandwich, and it pairs perfectly with sweet ingredients like honey mustard or cranberry sauce.
How Different Cheeses Affect the Flavor of Your Chicken Sandwich
Different cheeses can dramatically affect the flavor of your chicken sandwich. Tangy and sharp cheeses like blue cheese or sharp cheddar add a bold and assertive flavor, while mild and creamy cheeses like brie or provolone take a backseat and provide a rich and indulgent backdrop to the chicken and other sandwich ingredients. Harder cheeses like cheddar or Swiss may add a slight crunch to your sandwich, while softer cheeses like brie make for a gooier and more indulgent sandwich.
Classic vs. Creative: Cheese Varieties to Experiment with on Your Chicken Sandwich
The beauty of chicken sandwiches is that they’re incredibly versatile and allow for a lot of experimentation. You can always stick to classic cheese options like cheddar or Swiss, but why not try something a bit more creative? Here are some cheese varieties to experiment with on your chicken sandwich:
- Feta Cheese: Feta adds a tangy and salty flavor to chicken sandwiches, and its crumbly texture adds a nice crunch to the sandwich.
- Pepper Jack Cheese: If you like a bit of heat in your sandwiches, pepper jack cheese is the perfect choice. Its mild taste combines perfectly with chicken, and the added spice goes perfectly with other ingredients like jalapenos or hot sauce.
- Havarti: A mild, creamy cheese that pairs beautifully with chicken and has a subtle buttery flavor.
Deliciously Melty: Cheeses that Melt Perfectly on a Warm Chicken Sandwich
When it comes to chicken sandwiches, there’s nothing quite like biting into a warm sandwich with melty cheese. Here are some of the best cheeses for melting on a chicken sandwich:
- Provolone: Provolone has a creamy texture and melts beautifully on warm sandwiches, providing a rich and indulgent flavor.
- Mozzarella: Mozzarella is a classic cheese choice for hot sandwiches, and for a good reason. It melts beautifully and has a mild, slightly sweet taste that pairs perfectly with chicken.
- American: American cheese is a classic choice for melting as it becomes creamy and gooey when heated up. It’s a more mild option than other cheeses, but perfect for a classic chicken sandwich.
Top 10 Favorite Recipes for a Mouthwatering Chicken and Cheese Sandwich
If you’re looking for inspiration for your next chicken and cheese sandwich, here are ten delicious recipes worth trying:
- Chicken Parmesan Sandwich: Breaded chicken cutlets smothered in tomato sauce and melted mozzarella cheese.
- Buffalo Chicken Sandwich: Spicy buffalo chicken coated in melted blue cheese and topped with lettuce and tomato.
- Southwest Chicken Sandwich: Grilled chicken coated in melted pepper jack cheese and topped with salsa and guacamole.
- Italian Chicken Sandwich: Grilled chicken topped with melted provolone cheese, roasted red peppers, and basil pesto.
- Barbecue Chicken Sandwich: Grilled chicken coated in melted cheddar cheese and topped with barbecue sauce, bacon, and fried onions.
- Caprese Chicken Sandwich: Grilled chicken topped with melted mozzarella cheese, fresh tomatoes, and basil leaves.
- Chicken and Bacon Sandwich: Grilled chicken coated in melted Swiss cheese and topped with crispy bacon and avocado.
- Chicken Caesar Sandwich: Grilled chicken coated in melted Parmesan cheese and topped with romaine lettuce, Caesar dressing, and croutons.
- French Onion Chicken Sandwich: Grilled chicken smothered in melted Gruyere cheese and caramelized onions.
- Chicken and Cranberry Sandwich: Grilled chicken coated in melted goat cheese and topped with tart cranberry sauce.
Pairing Wine with Your Favorite Chicken and Cheese Sandwiches
If you like pairing wine with your meals, here are some wine pairing recommendations for your favorite chicken and cheese sandwiches:
- Cheddar Cheese: Pair cheddar cheese with a dry white wine, like Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio.
- Swiss Cheese: Pair Swiss cheese with light-bodied red wines, like Pinot Noir or Beaujolais.
- Brie Cheese: Pair Brie cheese with sparkling wine, like Champagne or Prosecco, or Chardonnay.
- Blue Cheese: Pair blue cheese with full-bodied red wines, like Cabernet Sauvignon or Syrah.
- Provolone Cheese: Pair provolone cheese with medium-bodied red wines, like Merlot or Chianti.
Veggie Options: Best Cheeses for Vegetarian and Vegan-Friendly Chicken Alternatives
For vegetarians or those looking for a vegan-friendly option, there are still plenty of cheese options to elevate your chicken alternatives. Here are some of the best cheeses for vegetarians and vegans for their chicken sandwich:
- Vegan Cheese: Many grocery stores now carry vegan cheese options made with plant-based ingredients. Try vegan cheddar cheese or vegan mozzarella cheese to add flavor to your vegan chicken sandwich alternatives.
- Pepper Jack Vegan Cheese: Try a spicy vegan cheese option, like vegan pepper jack cheese, to add a kick to your vegan chicken sandwich alternatives.
- Feta Vegan Cheese: For a crumbly and salty vegan cheese option, try vegan feta cheese. It adds a tangy and salty flavor to vegan chicken alternatives.
There you have it, folks: the best cheese options for chicken sandwiches! Whether you’re sticking to classic options like cheddar or Swiss or experimenting with something more gourmet, adding cheese to your chicken sandwiches is always a good idea. With so many cheese options available and plenty of delicious recipes to try, there’s no reason not to elevate your chicken sandwich game. Happy sandwich-making!